[SIGCIS-Members] Vintage Computer Festival, revisited

Meyer, Peter - BLS Meyer.Peter at bls.gov
Fri May 27 08:25:40 PDT 2011

I did go to this festival last week and it was great!

We heard speakers who had worked inside of UNIVAC (physically) and programmed it.  We heard from early computer society and store founders of the 1970s, and what the scene looked like to them at the time.  (Bill Gates was too young ; the Apple I was no better than the other platforms but the Apple II was remarkable ; etc.)

The stories of the old-timers are really interesting.  I talked at length with an early Homebrew Computer Club member who is researching some of the early companies.  Exhibitors included many people who knew the guts of early Apples, Ataris, Osbornes, and many other early computers.  It's neat to see what they can do.

The whole thing was quite electric, memorable, and worthwhile.
I'm glad to know also of the InfoAge Science Center.

Thanks, Evan!  I'll be back!