[SIGCIS-Members] Fw: [inforoots] AT&T and tape recording

Evan Koblentz evan at snarc.net
Tue May 10 18:29:17 PDT 2011

SIGCISers,

See the message below.

=======================================
Posts to inforoots at computerhistory.org is information known to or the opinions of the poster.  All posts to inforoots at computerhistory.org are archived.  By posting to this list you grant a license for use of this material to the Computer History Museum located in Mountain View, California, USA.
In the May issue of Communications of the ACM is a MUST READ article. It tells how a Bell Labs researcher invented magnetic recording tape and had a six-foot tall answering machine in his office, and how and why AT&T suppressed this invention. As a result, we did not have
magnetic recording until after WW II, when we got it from the Germans.
--
Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org
650-326-8204