[SIGCIS-Members] Vintage Computer Festival, revisited

David Ferro davidferro at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 07:05:22 PST 2011

All,
I've been to the Vintage Computer Festival (west) and have had a great time.
  They were had the documentary of FIDONET playing and had film principles
there.  There were Mechano (British Erector) versions of the Babbage
difference engine and the Bush Differential Analyzer running.  I got to play
Star Trek on one of the two working Altair computers demo'd.  There were
many people there who were the originators of the now mostly forgotten
microcomputers that utilized the Altair bus.  Plenty of characters worth
talking to.  I even picked up a used and working Osborne 1 for $15 (which
security at the airport was a bit hesitant about).   I recommend it.

David

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 1:13 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan at snarc.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I never seem to get much interest from SIGCIS people for the Vintage
> Computer Festival, but the upcoming edition (VCF East 7.0) might appeal more
> to this group than in years past.
>
> This year's speaker line-up includes Ruth Lewart, who worked on Bell Labs'
> TRADIC; Vincent Pogorzelski and Donald Caselli, who both worked at Monroe
> Calculator and specifically worked with the Monrobot XI; Joe LaViola and Al
> Rollin, both of UNIVAC/Unisys; and Michael Holley, who was a member of the
> Homebrew Computer Club and is an expert on Southwest Technical Products.
>
> Also this year, we're having a panel discussion about the New York City /
> New Jersey / Philadelphia region in the mid-1970s, including Roger Amidon
> (of Xitan / Technical Design Labs, which were S-100 companies), Dick Moberg
> (founder of the Philadelphia Area Computer Society and the 1978 Philadelphia
> Computer Music Festival), and Larry Stein (owner of Computer Mart of Iselin,
> N.J., which was one of the first computer stores in the state.)  For this
> panel we also invited (but have not yet received confirmations from) John
> Dilks, who produced the Atlantic City PC'76 show; Sol Libes, who produced
> and still runs the Trenton Computer Festival and the Amateur Computer Group
> of New Jersey (possibly the longest-running user group); and David Ahl, who
> published Creative Computing magazine.
>
> And that's just in the morning sessions.  Afternoons at our event feature
> the exhibit hall, a build-your-own transistor-logic circuit workshop, book
> sale, consignment, and museum tours.
>
> Our venue is the InfoAge Science Center, located in Wall, New Jersey.
>
> Our event is a wonderful opportunity to hear from people who worked in the
> field and (most important of all) to see vintage computers boot up and run
> again!
>
> Our event site is http://www.vintage.org/2011/east/ and we're on Facebook
> at http://www.facebook.com/vcfeast7 .
>
> - Evan

David Ferro, Associate Professor in Computer Science, Weber State
University, Ogden, Utah