[SIGCIS-Members] Summer reading for historians of computing -- your suggestions

Rob MacDougall rmacdou at uwo.ca
Wed Jul 13 12:57:45 PDT 2011

That's a great question, Tom.

The obvious suggestion that occurs to me, though I imagine list readers know
all about it already, is James Gleick's *The Information*, a wide ranging
tour of information as idea in linguistics, logic, telecommunications,
cryptography, quantum theory, and genetics. Oh, and the history of
computing.

Less obviously tied to the history of computing but still great summer (or
fall, or spring, or winter) reading for people with interests both
historical and scientific, is the burgeoning field of "big history". David
Christian's *Maps of Time* is to me the most impressive synthesis, but
McNeill & McNeill's The Human Web and Daniel Lord Smail's *On Deep History &
The Brain* are also worthwhile.

best,
Rob

Rob MacDougall
Assistant Professor, Department of History
Associate Director, Centre for American Studies
University of Western Ontario
London, Ontario N6A 5C2
CANADA
519-661-2111 +85305