[SIGCIS-Members] SHOT CALL FOR PAPERS 2011 -- deadline March 31

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Mon Feb 7 15:36:36 PST 2011

Hello SIGCIS members,

Please find attached the CFP for SHOT's 2011 annual meeting, taking place in
Cleveland this November. Full details at
http://www.historyoftechnology.org/pdf/cfp_shot_2011.pdf.

Note that this is the call for the main SHOT annual meeting. SIGCIS plans to
run its own one day workshop again this year, with a separate call,
reviewing process, and submission mechanism to be announced in the next few
weeks. You can submit to the SIGCIS workshop and to the main SHOT
conference, but should not present the same material at both. To facilitate
this we’ll also make sure that our workshop deadline is after people have
heard back from the SHOT program committee.

SIGCIS does not have any designated space on the main conference program
(other than the lunch meeting) but we have organized and submitted up to
three panel proposals for each of the past seven years. These have been
accepted more often than not. So if you have an idea for a paper
(particularly one relevant to the conference themes) that you would like me
to try to work into a panel proposal for the main workshop please let me
know BY THE END OF THIS MONTH. This is particularly helpful for those new to
SHOT who would benefit from assistance in appropriately framing their
abstracts to maximize the chance of acceptance.

SIGCIS members are also encouraged to use the list to contact others with
similar interests to submit panel proposals without my direct involvement.

SHOT doesn’t always pay that much attention to the year’s themes, but
anything related to them probably has a better chance. Fortunately they go
well with our concerns: Technology, power and control (particularly
technology and geography or technology and surveillance) and technology in
use/appropriation.

Finally, note that SHOT “discourages” North Americans from presenting papers
at two North American meetings running – so if you are a prolific researcher
from the US or Canada who presented in the main conference in Tacoma last
year then it would be better to participate as a chair/commentator in the
Cleveland main conference and save your latest brilliant research for our
workshop (which is not covered by this rule).

Best wishes,

Tom Haigh