[SIGCIS-Members] Moore School Automatic Computer

Evan Koblentz evan at snarc.net
Thu Oct 7 21:24:56 PDT 2010

Are any SIGCIS'rs knowledgeable about MSAC, the Moore School Automatic Computer?  As I understand it, this was originally meant to be an EDVAC clone, and then it evolved into something new.  Today I received a Moore School / Signal Corps "final report" stating that MSAC work ceased at approx. 85% completion in November 1953 because of a lack of funding.

The report mentions how MSAC included some of NBS' newfound knowledge from SEAC.  I know NBS' follow-up machine was DYSEAC, which was also built for the Signal Corps (White Sands Signal Agency), so perhaps that's why the MSAC funding ended.

I'd like to hear other insights / opinions about this.  (Unfortunately I am unable to be in Tacoma this month.)