[SIGCIS-Members] Namur, Dec 10, "Programmer : Un passé pour l'avenir ?"

Sandra Mols sandramols at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 23 01:16:22 PST 2010

Hi everyone,

Thanks Tom for forwarding this!

This is a very interesting follow-up by my colleague Marie in Namur at the
University of Namur to our Project on Belgian Computing History. The event is
indeed free and open to all. Local organisers would just prefer a quick
note/registration to ease up things (rooms etc...)

In a nutshell, at the occasion of the 40th anniversary of the Local
Informatics/Computer Science Faculty, the event is an afternoon mixing up
historical commentaries and presentations by pioneers. The event should be
interested for those interesting in "ancient" programming. Among others, J.
Loeckx was of the ALGOL Group at Brussels, F. Bodart started up the faculty and
worked on programming as tools towards the optimisation of production processes,
incl. work on databases management etc. Leroy, besides his role in Algol, taught
for long in Namur... Also, if it is like our previous afternoon in Namur back in
2009, there will be a whole lot of interesting people to meet, who were active
in the 1970s...

Best

Sandra