[SIGCIS-Members] Christie's at it again

James Sumner james.sumner at manchester.ac.uk
Sat Nov 13 03:07:56 PST 2010

I saw this and was rather more struck by the estimate of £300 000 to
£500 000 ($480K to $800K) for Max Newman's Turing offprints:

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?from=searchresults&intObjectID=5370960&sid=552921b4-dde0-44a6-9eed-642b040d7784

They're bundled with the visitors' book from Newman's house, including
Alan and Sara Turing's signatures, which does have obvious strong
collector appeal. Most of the offprints, save for their provenance, are
just offprints: one has "light annotation" from Newman, three have
Newman's name in Turing's hand, one has Sara Turing's signature, the
others are unmarked.

Turing offprints, like MS material, are "of the utmost rarity",
according to the catalogue entry. I wonder why.

Best
James