[SIGCIS-Members] review of Lars Heide's book on Punched Cards

Ceruzzi, Paul CeruzziP at si.edu
Thu May 13 09:12:28 PDT 2010

I reviewed Lars Heide's book more favorably:

Review of Lars Heide, Punched-Card Systems and the Early Information Explosion, 1880-1945, in the Journal for the American Society for Information Science and Technology 61/2 (Feb. 2010), p. 428

I can post the text of my review, but perhaps it would be more appropriate for you to find it online.

Paul Ceruzzi

______________________

Original message from Tom:

While I'm here: the guy who reviewed Lars Heide's book seemed rather grumpy!
Or rather he didn't have any interest in the use and development of punched
card technology except in as much as it might have had a major social
impact. So let me add that it is well worth reading and is by far the
broadest and deepest account so far published of the evolution of punched
card machine applications over a range of countries and industries. In
exploring the shaping of technology by users it is an excellent complement
to JoAnne Yates' work on punched card use in the insurance industry.

If you come across other reviews of interest to readers on the list please
feel free to link or forward to our list.