[SIGCIS-Members] SIGCIS Workshop -- CFP reminder for July 1. ONE WEEK LEFT!

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Thu Jun 24 13:16:59 PDT 2010

Hello everyone,

Things continue to go well in our preparation for the 2010 SIGCIS Workshop,
with the theme "Materiality and Immateriality in the History of Computing."
Jeff and the rest of the team have been fielding a number of questions and
inquiries, and we know a number of people are working on panel and session
proposals as well as individual papers.

Time flies, however, and we have just one week remaining to the July 1
deadline for proposals. So if you're like most of the people I've worked
with on session proposals over the years and leave your submissions to the
last minute this would be an excellent time to get a little frenzied. See
http://www.sigcis.org/?q=workshop10 for details and the submission form.

We're still particularly keen to receive submissions from graduate students,
including our special options to submit the proposal for a dissertation
being planned or in progress. I'm glad to report that we received an
additional $500 pledge of travel support from my own institution, the School
of Information Studies of the University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee. That gives
us a travel assistance budget of at least $2,500 to help SIGCIS Workshop
presenters who are graduate students, visiting assistant professors without
travel budgets, and others without access to institutional funds.

We've been busy lately with the workshop, but next month look for messages
announcing the expansion and redevelopment of two important parts of our
online activity: the member contributions area and the online syllabus
repository.

Best wishes,

Tom Haigh