[SIGCIS-Members] References on computer hobbyists, user periodicals etc.

Veraart, F.C.A. F.C.A.Veraart at tue.nl
Thu Jun 10 02:30:30 PDT 2010

Dear Theodore and other SIGIS members,

Thanks for starting this topic. As Gerard Alberts already mentioned my dissertation is about the introduction of small scale computers (including PCs) in the Netherlands.

The dissertation itself is in Dutch, but contains a summary in English (attached to this e-mail)
Below you find my articles in English relating to this.

Articles relating to the computer research:
Frank Veraart, 'Basicode: co-producing a microcomputer Esperanto', History of Technology vol. 28, 2008, Continuum International Publishing Group, London, 2009, p. 129-147.
Veraart, Frank (forthcoming) 'Decreasing meanings of computer games in the Dutch hobbyist scene, 1975-1995.' in IEEE Annals of the History of Computing (accepted for future publication 2009).

Rooij, J.W. van, Berkers, E.A.M., Davids, M., Veraart, F.C.A. 'National innovation systems and international knowledge flows: an exploratory investigation with the case of the Netherlands' Technology Analysis and Strategic Management, 20(2), 149-168 (2008)

PhD- dissertation:
Frank Veraart, Vormgevers van Persoonlijk Computergebruik (Designers of Personal Computing, the development of computers for small-scale users in the Netherlands, 1970-1990) (PhD thesis) Stichting Historie der Techniek, Eindhoven, 2008

All these publications - including the PhD dissertation are available through the Eindhoven University of Technology library (http://library.tue.nl/catalog/Vubis.csp?OpacLanguage=eng)

Publications of others that also might be of interest to you:
Haddon, Leslie G., The roots and early history of the British home computer market: origins of the masculine micro, University of London, Management School Imperial College, 1988, http://www.mot.chalmers.se/dept/tso/haddon/leshaddon.htm.
Haddon, Leslie G., "The home computer, the making of a consumer electronic", in: Science as Culture, 2, 1988, 7-51.
Haddon, Leslie, Paul Gerd, "Design in the IT industry: the role of users", in: Rod Coombs, Ken Green, Albert Richards & Vivien Walsh, Technology and the market, Cheltenham: 2001.
Oudshoorn, Nelly & Trevor Pinch, How Users Matter, the co-construction of users and technologies, Inside Technology, Cambridge MA London: MIT Press, 2003.
Furthermore, I know James Sumner and others at the University of Manchester have looked into the development of Sinclair computers.
I hope this helps in your investigations.

Best regards,
Dr. ir. F.C.A. (Frank) Veraart
Eindhoven University of Technology
Industrial Engineering & Innovation Studies
dept. Technology Innovation & Society
building IPO 2.24
PO box 513
5600 MB Eindhoven