[SIGCIS-Members] References on computer hobbyists, user periodicals etc.

Melanie Swalwell melanie.swalwell at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 9 16:01:24 PDT 2010

Thanks Janet, I was just about to start enthusing about this too, after
seeing all the other great responses... Thanks for starting this thread
Theodore.  I'm pleased to learn about the other work people have done in
this area, which I'll certainly be chasing up.

If your project is specifically home computer focused, then of the sources
Janet mentioned, the "1980s Home Coders" and the user group paper will be
the most relevant.  This is work done in the context of a history of digital
games in 1980s New Zealand.  I can give you copies, off list.

At the moment, I am looking specifically at lots of Australian
microcomputing magazines, and other sources from the era.  My main interest
is in consumer production and modes of user making/relation to technology,
etc.

The other work I know of (very roughly) is Petri Saarikoski, on Finnish home
computer hobbyist magazines.  I think Petri is on this list.

Is there enough work here for a collection, I wonder?

cheers,

Melanie

about me: http://melanieswalwell.backpackit.com/pub/1284142