[Members] CBI --> finding guide to Mahoney papers

Thomas Misa tmisa at umn.edu
Thu Jul 29 14:34:51 PDT 2010

Dear colleagues,

We were pleased and honored when Jean Mahoney gave Mike's books, papers, and archival collection to CBI.  And we are more than happy to have completed a finding guide to the collection and can announce that it is open for research.

     http://purl.umn.edu/92154

Mike, as you all know, was a scholar of unusual depth and breadth.  "Papers contain 38 boxes of Michael S. Mahoney's collection of books and serials related to the history of computing, mathematics, and related fields. The collection also includes 17 boxes of Mahoney's archival materials, including course work, subject files, and publication drafts."  There are extensive primary resources on theoretical computer science, including French and German titles.

Here are just a tiny sample of items that caught my eye:

  * Zassenhaus, Hans. The Theory of Groups, 1949
  * Svoboda, Antonin. Computing Mechanisms and Linkages, 1964
  * Shera, Jesse Hauk, 1903-1982. Information Resources: A Challenge to American Science and Industry, 1958

  * Turing Lectures, 1966-1987.
  * Software Engineering, 1972-1996
  * Relational Databases, 1976-2007
  * Program Correctness, 1966-2002