[Members] Call for submissions -- SIGCIS Member Contributions series

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Mon Jul 26 15:00:37 PDT 2010

Hello Julie (and the other SIGCIS members),

SIGCIS has never adopted a language policy for any of the relevant SIGCIS
areas (email list, member contributions, syllabus repository, etc).

We are committed to being a truly international group, including our system
of regional Vice Chairs. Also most histories of computing outside the US are
written in languages other than English - even though science is
increasingly published in English the same is not true for history. So
there's a strong argument to be inclusive.

On the other hand pretty much everything we have done so far has been in
English, which is the de facto international academic language. (I write
this with particular apologies to my French friends). A resource page full
of items titled in English, Danish, German, French, Japanese, Russian, etc.
would be confusing for everyone.

So your suggestion that we include non-English language items in the member
contributions area together with English language abstracts seems like a
good one. We would also need two versions of the title: in English and in
the original language. This avoids discriminating against other languages,
while still allowing an easy overview of the contents of the repository to
anyone able to read English.

Tom