[Members] Anne Fitzpatrick's Pioneers of Soviet Computing 2nd Edition now a SIGCIS ebook.

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Thu Jul 22 09:41:59 PDT 2010

Hello everyone,

I'm pleased to be able to let you know that SIGCIS is now hosting a free,
downloadable version of Malinovsky, Boris Nikolaevich. 2010 (2nd ed.).
<http://www.sigcis.org/?q=node/85> Pioneers of Soviet Computing. Anne
Fitzpatrick (ed.) and Emmanuel Aronie (trans.). An earlier version had been
available online for purchase, but the new edition has a creative commons
license and can be downloaded freely.

http://www.sigcis.org/?q=node/85

The book is a translation and heavily edited updating of a memoir and
history by Boris Malinovsky,  major figure in Soviet computing research
whose personal involvement with computing goes back to the MESM, the first
computer built in continental Europe. Malinovsky later led the design of the
Dnepr, the main Soviet industrial control computer and worked on a number of
Soviet minicomputers. The book includes an insider account of debates around
the Soviet shift to copy the IBM-360 system.

This is part of our new "Member Contributions" area. I am sending a separate
call for contributions for this area - we expect it to function as something
akin to a technical report series where unpublished conference papers,
thesis work, etc. can be posted on behalf of our members.