[SIGCIS-Members] Scientific Instrument Firms as ComputerManufacturers in the 1950s and 1960s

Alberts, Gerard G.Alberts at uva.nl
Wed Jul 7 07:02:43 PDT 2010

Dear David,
Many electricity and electronics firms had branches manufacturing scientific instruments: Ferranti, Philips, Siemens etc. Without detailed study it will be hard to establish the link between such instrument-making branches and the, often new, branches producing computers.

I suppose Ferranti, picking up on the production of the Manchester computers, is a case in point,
Ferranti: A History - Building A Family Business, 1882 - 1975 <http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ferranti-History-Building-Family-Business/dp/185936098X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278336011&sr=8-1> , John F Wilson, 2003, has a few pages on computer production.

You probably want to trace the developments of ITT-Standard Electric and its European ramifications like Stantec (in the UK producing the ZEBRA of Dutch design) and Standard Electric/k Lorentz (diff an).

In general we may expect scientific instrument firms to enter into the manufacturing of analog machines before turning to digital computers: AEI, Beckman etc.

In Germany Siemens (Siemens & Halske) followed this path. Apart from a few remarks by Hartmut Petzold, in his 1985 Rechnende Maschinen and his 1992 Moderne Rechenkünstler, I do not know the key reference to the literature. Hope our German colleagues can help us out here.

Gerard Alberts