[SIGCIS-Members] New member- about Dan Holbrook

Holbrook, Daniel holbrook at marshall.edu
Sun Feb 14 09:44:29 PST 2010

Hello all,

Having just joined this email list, I am obeying the request to post a brief paragraph about myself.

I am an associate professor and department chair in the Department of History, Marshall University, Huntington, WV.  While I am not a historian of computing per se, I have done a bit of work on the history of electronic components, in particular semiconductor device manufacturing.  My current research is focusing on contamination control technologies; again, not the history of computing, but, given the importance of clean rooms to the manufacture of electronic components, certainly related.  More specifically, I am working on related histories of high efficiency air filtration, particle counters, dust and dirt in manufacturing, and, believe it or not, wiping and wipers, all within the context of contamination control in manufacturing..

I earned my Ph.D. at Carnegie Mellon University, studying under David Hounshell, Steve Klepper, and Wes Cohen.  The latter two are organization economists, but sincerely interested in history.  I have been reasonably active in SHOT, having served on several prize committees and the Program Committee.

Dan