[SIGCIS-Members] History of open-source

Pierre Mounier mounier at msh-paris.fr
Fri Aug 27 10:10:42 PDT 2010

In this regard, I happen to be writing a paper on computer user groups
in France (of which one of the most active was... SHARE). From the
first interviews I conducted and from the few meeting reports I have
from the early 1960s, it appears that software sharing was short-
lived. It rather took this form : A good program written by a user was
adopted by the manufacturer, and became part of its commercial
catalogue. At the meetings, users  mostly presented programming
methods, sometimes numerical analysis solutions, rarely software
stricto sensu. A major topic emerged : suggesting improvements to the
manufacturer's products.

Best,
Pierre Mounier-Kuhn