[Members] FW: [ASBH] LAST MONTH REMINDER: Smithsonian Fall Conference Information & Computer Science

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Mon Aug 2 14:14:50 PDT 2010

A friend just sent me this (announcement below). People in the DC area might
be interested. “The event celebrates one of the great pioneers of the
Information Age, Admiral Grace Murray Hopper. Admiral "Amazing Grace"
Hopper's scholarship in computer science was the immediate reason for the
implementation of COBOL in 1960, thus inaugurating our Information Age.”

That's not an entirely coherent historical claim, and as one looks closer it
seems odder and odder. The oddness lies not just in the fact that there are
no historians on the panel (we’re used to being ignored at anniversaries,
after all) but also no computer scientists, business data processing types,
or anyone else with an obvious connection to the history of COBOL!  See the
program at
http://www.thechiefinformationgroup.com/conference/smithsonian/1009SIAgenda.
pdf.

This event may potentially of interest to someone as an example of the way
in which Grace Hopper’s role as a secular saint of information has spread
beyond computer science. Now that would be a good topic for a cultural
history panel discussion.

Tom