[SIGCIS-Members] SIGCIS Workshop Registration

Jeffrey D. Tang tangjd at jmu.edu
Wed Sep 16 19:03:30 PDT 2009

Hello SIGCIS Members,

SHOT's Special Interest Group in Computers, Information, and Society (SIGCIS) invites you to attend our first workshop in the history of computing to be held Sunday, October 18.  The workshop, which follows the formal program of the annual meeting of SHOT in the conference hotel, has a theme of "Michael Mahoney and the Histories of Computing(s)" in honor of the late Mike Mahoney.

The program is available at:
http://www.sigcis.org/files/SIGCIS%202009%20Workshop%20Schedule%20--%202009-09-11.pdf

Abstracts of the papers can be viewed at:
http://www.sigcis.org/files/SIGCIS%202009%20Workshop%20Abstracts.pdf

REGISTRATION: Registration for the SIGCIS workshop has no additional charge beyond that for the main SHOT meeting.  If you want to attend the workshop and are not already listed on the workshop program as a participant simply e-mail the SIGCIS Secretary to confirm your attendance. Please send a message to Jeffrey Tang by September 21 at secretary at sigcis.org. Also include your meal preference (see below).

The SIGCIS Workshop is being treated part of the SHOT meeting, so if you haven't registered for the main SHOT conference you will need to do so.  If you are planning on attending ONLY the SIGCIS Workshop, SHOT is offering a very reasonable $30 one-day rate (this is ONLY available to those attending for a single day -- all others need the normal, full registration).

The form for SHOT registration is at
http://www.historyoftechnology.org/pdf/pittsburgh_registration.pdf but must
be faxed or mailed.  Note that the $30 one-day option is not listed on the form, but will be accepted if you indicate this as your preference.  For those who want to make a late decision, this one-day rate will also be available on-site at the conference.

MEAL ARRANGEMENTS: In addition to the workshop itself, SIGCIS will be organizing group lunch and dinner reservations on Sunday at nearby restaurants to maximize efficiency and allow participants to chat during meals. You will pay the restaurant directly, but please specify in your workshop registration whether you will be attending the lunch, the dinner, or both.  Note that these meals are different than the SIGCIS lunch on Friday.

Also, let us know your preference for price range and style of restaurant so that we can select an option that best suits the workshop attendees. Once restaurant choices have been finalized we will email participants again to provide more information and confirm interest.

We hope to see you in October, and please register for the workshop ASAP so that we can make the necessary arrangements to help our first workshop go smoothly.

Cheers,
Jeffrey Tang
SIGCIS Secretary
Dr. Jeffrey Tang
Asst. Prof. of Integrated Science and Technology (ISAT)
Coordinator, Minor in Science, Technology, and Society
James Madison University
800 South Main St.     MSC 4102     Harrisonburg, VA  22807
Phone: 540-568-2758     E-mail: tangjd at jmu.edu