[SIGCIS-Members] Don't forget the Book Auction! Bring along your spare copies.

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Wed Oct 14 08:12:58 PDT 2009

Hello everyone,

This is a short message, but I didn't want it to get mixed up in all the
detail in my other one.

As usual, we will be holding a short auction of book on the history of
computing. Last year we raised a total of $840 at the lunch meeting, between
cash donations and the proceeds of the auction. Many of the books were
donated by MIT Press, but around half came from ordinary SIG members.
Together with our income from other sources this has funded our operations
for the year, allowing us to make four awards of $200 each as supplemental
graduate student travel funding, to subsidize the cost of this year's lunch
for graduate students, to buy coffee for the workshop on Sunday, and to
print the poster SHOT has asked us to provide for the "Meet the SIGs
session."

This is a fun event, which lets us build some community spirit, expand our
libraries affordably, and help the development of the field.

So please, if you have accumulated spare copies of any relevant books
(review copies, desk copies, author's copies, accidental double purchases)
then squeeze them into your bulging bags and bring them along to the SIGCIS
lunch meeting on Friday.

Deductions to SHOT (i.e. books you give us) are tax deductible for US
residents to the amount allowed by law.