[SIGCIS-Members] Two good recent TV programmes on the history ofcomputing that are worth viewing.

Roger Neil Barton neil.barton at uclmail.net
Tue Oct 13 09:25:45 PDT 2009

IMHO the Bob Noyce telebio last night was as brilliant as the other
programmes in the series in the series were terrible.  In fact most lasted
only a few minutes before I switched off and I missed the second (or more if
there were more) part of the drama about Sinclair and Acorn.

In Ken Tennet's blog he talks about "Acorn's descent into financial
difficulty as the bank happily gives the company bigger loans for expansion,
and it carries out an ill-advised stock exchange flotation."  Acorn was not
a client and I didn't do the float but I did organise and host a conference
('84 or 85?), on the paperless office (ha ha), at the NCC in Manchester to
which I invited Acorn.  I don't remember now but Acorn were represented
either by Chris Curry or Herman Hauser.  It was required by Stock Exchange
rules then, and is legally obligatory now, not to make any statement that
provides new information to the market without a formal statement to the
Stock Exchange.  The Acorn presentation included the jaw dropping news that
sales were down some massive number and that the company would miss
expectations by miles.  By the end of the immediately following coffee break
the share price had collapsed and they hurriedly departed.  I'm sorry now I
didn't persist with the drama but perhaps I'll catch up on the iplayer.

kind regards
neil

Dr Roger Neil Barton
http://www.uclmail.net/~neil.barton/