[SIGCIS-Members] Von Neumann EDVAC report

David Hemmendinger hemmendd at union.edu
Fri May 29 12:22:13 PDT 2009

	I have a photocopy of the report; its cover page matches the
one that Michael Godfrey published in the 1993 Annals, with the Edvac
contract number W-670-ORD-4926, and dated June 30, 1945.  It's stamped
"Moore School of Elec. Eng. Library".  It has numerous lacunae in
internal and external references.  E.g. on p. 2, the end of sec 1.3 has
"This point will receive closer consideration subsequently, in particular in"
and the end of 1.4 has "(Cf.                       .)"
	The back page (after the unnumbered p. 101) has a list of due
dates starting Jan 5, 1962.  Can anyone tell me anything more about
the origin of this version?  Is it a copy of the original?

	Godfrey's introduction to his Annals version mentions that
Goldstine said that his archives at Hampshire College had a copy of
the manuscript.  The online list of the archive contents includes only
the Report itself with the June 30 date -- might this be another
original?

	Thanks,

  David Hemmendinger                           hemmendd at union.edu
  Computer Science Dept.        http://athena.union.edu/~hemmendd
  Union College                                   +1 518 388 6319
  Schenectady, NY 12308                      FAX: +1 518 388 6789