[SIGCIS-Members] Von Neumann EDVAC report

Ceruzzi, Paul CeruzziP at si.edu
Fri May 29 10:39:40 PDT 2009

There is a copy of the EDVAC Report in the rare book room of the
Smithsonian Institution Libraries. I collected it from the Bureau of
Standards (now NIST), and it has Sam Alexander's name stamped on it.
Most of the other materials from the NBS collection went to the Charles
Babbage Institute, where they have been catalogued. I believe that would
also include other von Neumann reports you would be interested in. I
have to warn you that the report is fragile and has to be handled with
extreme care. It was reproduced by a process similar to mimeograph,
which used a flimsy type of paper that is easily torn.

One of the great unanswered questions is how many copies were made in
1945, and of them, how many survive.

Paul E. Ceruzzi
National Air & Space Museum
MRC 311; PO Box 37012