[SIGCIS-Members] Question about von Neumann papers

Mai Sugimoto nix.pura at gmail.com
Thu May 28 12:57:47 PDT 2009

Dear Sigcis members,

I have questions about "Urtext Edition" of these historical papers:

1) John von Neumann, "First Draft of a Report on the EDVAC"
2) Arthur W. Burks, Herman H.Goldstine, John von Neumann, "Preliminary
Discussion of the Logical Design of an Electronic Computing
Instrument"

Recently my colleague and I are doing translation of these papers into
Japanese for publication. In order to make the translation as correct
as possible, we are looking for the version that is the closest to the
original one.

About 1), we are using this version so far:
http://www.virtualtravelog.net/entries/2003-08-TheFirstDraft.pdf
It seems that this version is a finely edited one.
Does anyone have the original typescript of this paper?
Or does anyone know where the typescript is?

About 2), we are using 'A.H.Taub, ed: John von Neumann Collected
Works' and also referring this version stored at U. of Michigan:
http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/handle/2027.42/3972
Does anyone have some information on other version of this paper?

I would really appreciate any kind of information about them.
Thank you.

Mai

-----
Mai Sugimoto
Ph.D Student, Program of Philosophy and History of Science,
Kyoto University, Japan
nix.pura at gmail.com