[SIGCIS-Members] Deadline June 1 - Grad student travel funding for SHOT & SIGCIS Workshop

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Wed May 20 11:04:13 PDT 2009

Hello everyone,

Here's a reminder of two things.

First, SHOT has travel funding to help the needy attend its annual meeting.
Preference is given to graduate students giving a paper or commenting, but
funding may also be available for post docs and travelers from outside the
US, Canada, and Western Europe.
http://www.historyoftechnology.org/awards/travelgrants.html. The deadline
for applications is soon - JUNE 1. You have to be a SHOT member to apply.

Second, SIGCIS has supplemental travel funds for graduate students
presenting on history of computing topics. We hope to make at least two
awards of around $300 each. SHOT's application procedure is already rather
complicated, and in the interests of fairness and convenience we decided to
coordinate with the SHOT committee so that our funds complement the main
awards.

The full details on our award scheme, the Michael S. Mahoney/MIT Press
Graduate Student Travel Awards, are available at
http://www.sigcis.org/?q=travelaward. But basically you apply via SHOT with
the full details but additionally send your name, paper title, and
affiliation to secretary at sigcis.org. Participants in SIGCIS sponsored
sessions will receive priority but we'll also try to balance things to
support people for whom the regular SHOT fund can provide little or no
money.

There's a twist to this. As I mentioned before, SIGCIS is holding its own
workshop in conjunction with SHOT this October. It will be a full day event
on the Sunday (October 18). Because we're disorganized slackers the CFP
still didn't go out yet, though it should arrive in the next two days. We'd
like to get lots of graduate students participating, and are calling for a
session on dissertations in progress (feedback on dissertation proposals)
and for pre-circulation of works in progress (including draft chapters).

So grad students interested in the workshop and in the SHOT and SIGCIS
funding possibilities will need to keep an eagle eye out for the CFP, pounce
on it, and get their abstracts to us by May 28 so we can do a lightning fast
review process in time for them to apply for the travel funding. Sorry for
the inconvenience, but you leave everything to the last minute anyway, right
;-).

The travel grants are supported in part by donations to the SIGCIS Mahoney
Fund. See details and a list of current donors at www.sigcis.org?q=mahoney.
They are also supported by cash donations at the annual business meeting and
by the proceeds of the book auction, including a large contribution of books
from MIT Press.