[SIGCIS-Members] History of Personal Computers

Joel West joelwest at ieee.org
Fri May 15 10:37:26 PDT 2009

I agree the crossover success of Ted Leonsis is remarkable. In between he was vice chair of AOL. He sold Redgate Communications to AOL in 1993, which is presumably where he made enough to buy his own hockey team.

On the Left Coast, our equivalent is Michael Moritz, who wrote the best book** on Apple ever (Little Kingdom). He then became a VC at Sequoia Capital, betting on Google, Yahoo and PayPal. In 2007, Forbes put him #1 on their "Midas Touch" list
	http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/99/biz_07midas_Michael-Moritz_1YIC.html

So far he hasn't bought a hockey team (Wikipedia prints the rumor he's going to buy a Wales soccer club). However, he did give $50m to Christ Church, Oxford.

Joel

Joel West 		http:/www.JoelWest.org/blogs
Associate Professor, Innovation & Entrepreneurship
College of Business, San Jose State University

** I used all the Apple histories in my dissertation. Little Kingdom is the definitive story of the Apple II era. While Infinite Loop (Mike Malone) is the best book about the 1990s, there are several other books that have similar detail, even if the interpretation is not as accurate.