[SIGCIS-Members] books on history of the Internet

Christine Finn C.A.Finn at Bradford.ac.uk
Mon May 11 00:56:22 PDT 2009

Dear all,

For an alt view, can I flag up a title of my own? Artifacts: an archaeologist's
year in Silicon Valley (MIT Press, 2001/2). It's used on archaeology/anthro and
American history courses, so members might not have seen it.

lt looks at the material culture of the tech industry and the changing landscape
over 2000 - 2001. There's an extensive further reading list which might be
useful. It is reportage, and genuinely written on the run, with photos of lost
orchards, bunny suits and old computer ads; it could complement more
comprehensive reading, or spark discussion. I've used it to teach American
u/grads and high school students, and MA students at Bristol in the UK. For
those who missed the dotcom boom, it gives an overview of its more immediate
impact.

It's still in print but long remaindered so it'll be cheap! Meanwhile, I'm just
completing the sequel, researched as a longer tale, and happy to discuss
content if that's useful.

best wishes, Christine

www.journalisted.com/christine-finn
http://humanitieslab.stanford.edu/ChristineFinn/106

Dr.Christine A.Finn, FSA
Hon. Writer Fellow, J.B.Priestley Library/
Hon. Research Fellow, Dept. of Archaeological Sciences,
University of Bradford, UK.

+ 44 07980 913795 (UK cell)
+ 44 (0)1034 372917

This mail sent through IMP: http://webmail.brad.ac.uk
To report misuse from this email address forward the message
and full headers to misuse at bradford.ac.uk