[SIGCIS-Members] Update -- Evans Signal Lab and computer development

Evan Koblentz evan at snarc.net
Tue Jun 16 21:24:53 PDT 2009

Here's something I think my fellow SIGCIS members will find interesting.

At the D.C. conference in 2007 I talked about the InfoAge Science
Center, which was a Marconi station before W.W. I, a Navy comms station
during W.W. I, an Army Signal Corp R&D lab during and after W.W. II, and
shut down in the late 1990s.

Recently we at InfoAge made progress in understanding what happened here
applicable to computer development.  The site is already noteworthy for
its Marconi-era achievements and its many radar and communications
achievements, but until very recently its role in computer development
was severely understated.

Last night I made a simple poster outlining this work.  It's intended
for lay audiences, but it might also open some eyes here in SIGCIS.

Feedback encouraged.  Of course I'd be happy to provide more detail
about each bullet point.

http://snarc.net/posters/10_summary-poster.pdf

- Evan