[SIGCIS-Members] 2009 Workshop Update

NOVEMBER, JOSEPH NOVEMBER at mailbox.sc.edu
Wed Jul 29 12:48:44 PDT 2009

Dear SIGCISers,

It is my pleasure to report that we received an excellent response to our call for papers for the 2009 workshop, “Michael Mahoney And The Histories of Computing(s).” It will be held on Sunday, October 18, 2009, at the Hilton Hotel in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA. Due to the large volume of good submissions we anticipate a very full and productive day.

Attached is the preliminary schedule for the workshop. The session times and lengths are approximate and subject to change. The order of presenters within sessions may change as well.

At this point we need chairs and commentators for all of the traditional paper sessions and chairs for the Dissertation Workshop and the Works In Progress Workshop. The chair’s responsibility will be to ensure that presenters adhere to time limits—a crucial duty given that we have so much material to cover in just one day—and to manage question-and-answer sessions following each presentation. Commentators for the traditional paper sessions will offer a 10-15 minute analysis of the papers in that session; typically, presenters will send the commentator a draft of their talk at least a week before the workshop.

Anyone who is not presenting at the workshop is eligible to volunteer for one of these positions. To volunteer please email Joseph November [november(at)sc.edu].

Meal information: We plan to eat lunch at one of the cafes or sandwich places near the conference hotel. It will be pay-as-you-go. Dinner will be in a restaurant in Pittsburgh.

We look forward to seeing everyone in Pittsburgh!

Joseph November, Program Committee Chair for the 2009 SIGCIS Workshop