[SIGCIS-Members] computers and management science

Sandra Mols sandramols at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 20 02:31:52 PDT 2009

Interesting debate.
I agree with the comments as regards to a necessary caution when it comes to evaluate dedication and use of computers.
As regards to the Pegasus claim at the origin of this discussion, two points attract my mind in particular.
One is about the extent to which this claim - independently of its veracity - relate to Ferranti's wishes to steal pieces of the managament computing  market out of LEO's hands (launched in 1951). In my research, the Pegasus was mostly used towards scientific uses and - as far as this claim gets me to think  - it may well be that Ferranti tried to push it forward as an 'administrative' machine - due to its comaprative smaller size - to expand its market outreach towards management 'bureau' issues which had been recently targeted by LEO.
The other issue - expanding on Tom Haigh - is about the term of 'management science': what does it mean in 1956 when one takes into account that management was a new fashionable thing in the post-WWII context, being born out of OR WWII practices, with also OR remaining a very unfixed, changing concept (more or less quantified) well until the 1960s?
Hope this helps,

Sandra