[SIGCIS-Members] Introducing myself

Armand Van Dormael a.vandormael at skynet.be
Sat Jan 31 08:07:37 PST 2009

Dear Colleagues,

It is a great pleasure for me to join Sigcis. I hope I can make a contribution to your research.

Several eminent historians have drawn attention to major gaps in the history of computing.

Much of computing technology was developed in Europe, but its originators are not recognized even in their home country.

Since Europe has no computer industry, historians have not been interested.

On February 24, 2003, the New York Times published an article titled: Herbert F. Mataré. An Inventor of the Transistor Has His Moment.

Fifty-five years after the fact, this was the first time Mataré was given credit for his work.

In 1986, the Boston Computer Museum held a contest to determine who invented the microcomputer.

The Micral created by François Gernelle was recognized as the first commercially distributed microcomputer. .

Both Mataré and Gernelle have provided me with ample documentation and information about their work.

My forthcoming book The Silicon Revolution  explores this unmapped area of history.

It constitutes a documented analysis and a coherent narrative of the development of computing in the United  States, Europe and Asia.

Please see:/http://www.avandor.net

                 IEEE paper The French Transistor.

                 NY Times:  Herbert F. Mataré. An Inventor of the Transistor Has His Moment.

 Armand Van Dormael

33A Drève de la Meute

1410 Waterloo

Belgium