[SIGCIS-Members] Origin of the words 'program' and 'programming'?

David Alan Grier grier at gwu.edu
Mon Feb 16 11:26:30 PST 2009

Marie,
	It transfers through the ENIAC from radio engineering.  It is first
used to describe the control signals that synchronize the computation
on the ENIAC.  From that sense,  it moves to the commands stored in
memory that control those signals and finally acquires modern
meaning.  It was in place by the time the Manchester Baby and ACE are
operational, though it alternated with other terms through the early
1950s.  The builders of the IAS architecture machines are probably the
ones that cement it in place.

David Grier