[SIGCIS-Members] Last chance -- CFP Business History Conference in Milan, June 2009

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Thu Sep 25 09:42:13 PDT 2008

Hello everyone,

We've organized panels for the past couple of Business History Conferences
(in the not-so-glamorous locales of Cleveland and Sacramento). Next year the
BHC is in Milan, which I can testify from a trip last year is a great place
for eating, drinking and sightseeing. It's a big post industrial city, which
reminded me of Manchester with a liberal infusion of historical churches,
art galleries, a big castle, and roman ruins. That's the new shiny
Manchester, not the old sad one. It's got a little district holding is
probably the world's biggest collection of designer boutiques, though
there's probably not much crossover between the conference attendees and the
people who stagger back to the Four Seasons loaded down by Armani bags.

The CFP is almost upon us, but if anyone has work they'd like to present
then let me know ASAP and maybe we can work up a session proposal by the end
of the weekend. The Fashion theme is not compulsory, although it is a good
fit with many aspects of IT.

There isn't as much IT-related work at the BHC as there should be, though
the conference has taken definite turn toward issues of social and labor
history.

Also note below the dissertation colloquium. This has been running for a few
years now, and seems to be doing a great job in helping graduate students
network with each other and with well known business historians, advance
their scholarly development, and freshen up the conference itself with
bright young people. Deadline for that is 15th December.

Tom