[SIGCIS-Members] Annals Update

Jeff Yost yostx003 at umn.edu
Thu Nov 6 12:28:42 PST 2008

  Annals Update

It was a pleasure to see many of you at the SIGCIS lunch (and elsewhere
at SHOT) in Lisbon and tell you briefly about upcoming content and
initiatives with IEEE Annals of the History of Computing. Given that
some SIGCIS members were not in Lisbon, I wanted to fill everyone in on
developments at Annals.

Our thematic issue on the international history of computing will be
coming out later this month (volume 30:4) with excellent contributions
from five talented historians—Jim Cortada, surveying the diffusion of
computing worldwide; Eden Medina, on the history of IBM Chile; Corinna
Schlombs, on European strategies and execution by IBM and
Remington/Sperry Rand; Timo Leimbach on the history of German software
giant SAP; and Petri Paju on the history of computing in Finland.

We also have exciting special issues planned on the history of Asian
language processing, the history of computer games, and the history of
database management systems. Additionally, there are a number of great
article and department contributions in the queue.

If you are not a subscriber to IEEE Annals, please consider subscribing
[just $38 annually for IEEE Computer Society members and $45 for
nonmembers—go to http://www.computer.org/portal/site/annals/index.jsp
and follow the links (Subscribe to Annals>Subscribe to Individual
Publications…)]

I also strongly encourage you to submit your scholarship to Annals. We
welcome submissions of article manuscripts (for consideration) on all
aspects of the history of computing, software and networking. We also
welcome proposals for guest editing a special issue. If I can be of
assistance with an article manuscript you are thinking about submitting,
please let me know. Also, contact me if you have ideas for a special
issue proposal. For submission instructions click on "Write for Annals"
at http://www.computer.org/portal/site/annals/index.jsp

Finally, I want to alert you to a new feature of the IEEE
Annals-sponsored “Computing Then” portion of the IEEE Computer Society’s
“Computing Now” portal. “Computing Then” just added “Annals Through the
Years,” a continuing feature that will electronically publish free
select content (articles and department pieces) from each of Annals’
thirty year history—starting with Volume 1 (now available) and rolling
out a new volume every several weeks. Brief introductions offer context
on the content. See this at
http://www2.computer.org/portal/web/computingthen

Best,

Jeff

Jeffrey Yost
Associate Director, Charles Babbage Institute
Editor in Chief, IEEE Annals of the History of Computing
yostx003 at umn.edu <mailto:Yostx003 at umn.edu> 612 624 5050