[SIGCIS-Members] ICT Standards - SHOT 2008

Andrew Russell arussell at jhu.edu
Sun Mar 2 18:47:04 PST 2008

Hi folks -

Following on Tom's email about SIGCIS panels for SHOT, I wanted to
send another (complementary) call to see if anyone is interested in
contributing to a paper on the topic of "Standards for Information
and Communication Technologies: Lessons Learned."

The "lessons learned" aspect of this topic seems especially relevant
for the "Looking Forward" theme of SHOT's extended 50th; but it is
also related to an edited volume that Andreas Fickers and I are
preparing, to be published in IGI Global's "Advances in IT Standards
and Standardization Research" series, which is edited by Kai Jakobs.

We will soon be circulating a formal call for chapters for this
volume, but we thought that a panel or 2 at SHOT might be a good way
to get a conversation started.  Our current idea is to organize 1 or
2 sessions; perhaps one on ICT standards and another (of lesser
interest to this list) on standards more generally.  Of course if
there is overlap with SIGCIS proposals, I will work with Tom to fit
things together.

If you are interested in contributing (either to a panel or to a
book), please get in touch with me (or Kai or Andreas).  Or, if you
have colleagues not in the SIGCIS orbit (poor souls!) who might be
interested, have them do the same.

Thanks!

Andy Russell
John Hope Franklin Humanities Institute