[SIGCIS-Members] FW: shot meeting: registration deadline june 30th

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Wed Jun 25 16:06:00 PDT 2008

Hello everyone,

SHOT registration time is rolling around -- rather earlier than usual this
year. Must be the Germanic efficiency of the organizers. Registration is
online for the first time this year.
http://www.shotlisbon2008.com/registration.htm Advance registration, prior
to June 30, is 130 Euros. Still painful when converted to dollars but is
only half the rate 4S is demanding this year.

When I tried to register everything worked fine up to the payment stage, and
I received a registration ID. Then it gave a Java language error when
attempting to process my credit card.

The SIG lunches are working a little differently from usual. They will not
be run by the conference hotel, but will show up on the program as a
preference. We'll be going to a nearby restaurant, which the local
arrangements people will reserve for us. Payment will be made at the time of
the lunch, not with the registration fees.

Time assignments have not been made for the lunches. There will be only two
meeting times for SIGs -- both at lunch. The time assignments will be made
by the organizers at some future date, but it looks like we will need to
register without knowing what they are. I have asked the organizers to avoid
scheduling us at the same time as the Mercurians (the communications SIG)
because of the considerable overlap of members. As a second priority I asked
not to be scheduled against the Prometheans and Atsushi Akera's engineering
effort.

What I suggest doing is registering for whichever SIGs take your fancy. If
because of a clash you can't attend our lunch after all then just email and
let us know. We'll also have a less formal dinner one evening, so all is not
lost if you miss the lunch.

With the SOFT-EU project meeting being held just before SHOT I'm hoping for
a good turnout of historians of computing. We should be launching a number
of exciting initiatives at this year's event.

Best wishes,

Tom Haigh