[SIGCIS-Members] ACM archives going to CBI

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Sat Jul 19 14:07:46 PDT 2008

Hello everyone,

The ACM has announced that its archives will be going to the Charles Babbage
Association. That's a great development for anyone wanting to write the
history of professional identity in computing or the institutional
development of computer science. I'd heard this informally some time ago,
but I now see that an official press release went out a couple of months
ago.

http://www.acm.org/press-room/news-releases/babbage

I remember from the early days of the ACM History Committee back in 2004
that the historians on the panel were very much pushing this as by far the
most useful thing the association could do to further historical work. I
tried to explain the importance of archives in my own 2007 Communications of
the ACM article "Sources for ACM History."
http://www.tomandmaria.com/tom/Writing/ACMHistorySources.pdf

I imagine the papers will take some time to catalog but it might not be too
soon to start thinking about their potential for future research projects.
I'm sure the CBI staff will let us know when they are ready for use.