[SIGCIS-Members] Historic chip???

Deborah Douglas ddouglas at MIT.EDU
Tue Dec 23 08:28:57 PST 2008

Recently the MIT Museum was offered a unique artwork based on an
integrated circuit designed by NMS and currently sold by Agere
Systems (formerly Lucent Microelectronics) as their Ambassador Series
T8100.  The original circuit was created by Jonathan Pollack and
Chuck Linton in 1996-97.

The company commissioned an artist to create an enlarged and stylized
version of this chip.  The 48" x 44" piece is a glass plate sandwich
that includes many but not all of the layers of the circuit.  The
piece is sufficiently interesting visually that I've been thinking
about making the acquisition but am appealing to the thought
collective for suggestions on how to assess the historic significance
of circuits such as this.  The company claim is that this HMIC
microchip helped NMS become one of the leading providers of
communication technology.

I would certainly welcome your thoughts and can provide more
information (including a photograph) if interested.

Many thanks,

Debbie Douglas

Deborah G. Douglas, Ph.D.
Curator of Science and Technology